Don’t be embarrassed if you do not know what a FASTag is all about. You are not alone. Yes, the government has introduced a new technology and it is bound to make our lives simpler. But first things first, let us gain some information about the new technology.
What is FASTag?
From December 1, all four-wheeler vehicles (including trucks and buses) which are to be sold, need to be fitted with FASTags. These tags employ Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology. These will be used for making toll payments directly. When the commuter/driver passes through toll plazas, he/she does not need to stop for paying in cash. The payment is automatically made.
How? Let’s See
These FASTags are linked with the prepaid or savings account. It is fixed on the windscreen of the vehicle.
Like Aadhaar, it will act as unique identity numbers for vehicles.
What Information Will be Stored on the FASTag?
The tags store data such as –
- Registration data of the vehicle.
- What class does the vehicle belong to (this will help in calculating the exact toll charges).
- Encrypted vehicle data such as engine and chassis number.
- Other vehicle compliance-related data – pollution and insurance will also be stored on the tag.
What are the Advantages?
This technology has innumerable advantages in the present day scenario.
- cashless transactions,
- low fuel consumption,
- reduction in air pollution
No wonder the government has taken such an initiative. The best thing is that the vehicular pollution will be kept in check. Looking at the smog surrounding the Delhi-NCR, this was a must.
Also, there have been instances of violence against the cash collector at toll plazas. In rare instance, some have been shot at. This step will most likely stop these incident from occurring in the future.
Presently, 7.5 lakh vehicles have tags fixed on them. Vehicles without valid tag entering these dedicated lanes will be charged double the applicable toll amount in cash.
FASTag can be used across all toll plazas that come under National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program. FASTag currently operates at 370 toll plazas(approx.) across all National Highways. It is inter-operable. Around 6 lakh FASTags are already in circulation.
How Do You Make a Payment With FASTag?
FASTag has a one-time fee of Rs 200. After that a minimum recharge amount of Rs 100 can be made. Maximum amount of recharge is Rs 1 lakh.
Banks linked to FASTag (for online payment) – Equitas Small Finance Bank, ICICI, IDBI, Axis Bank, SBI, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Syndicate Bank, Axis Bank, IDFC Bank have partnered with NHAI for FASTag payments.
Payments can be made through
–> Online through Credit Card/ Debit Card/ NEFT/ RTGS
–> Through Net Banking.
–> Through Paytm.
Refundable security deposit depends on vehicle type.
How to Buy FASTags for Your Vehicles
- Manual Registration – Visit any of the Point of Sale (POS) locations at Toll Plazas for purchasing FASTags for your four-wheeler. You feel it is a lengthy procedure there? No problem, sales offices of ICICI Bank will to get your tag account created.
- Customer Care – You could also call up customer care. Their number is 1860 267 0104.
- Via SMS – Message ITOLL(Space)Pincode(Space)Name to 5676766. For example, if your name is Tushar Bhattacharyya, then type the text – ITOLL 160403 Tushar Bhattacharyya.
- Through ICICI Bank – Avail ICICI Bank FASTag scheme just by sending an SMS.
- Purchase via mobile apps – Mobile apps like MyFASTag and FASTag Partner can help you in the purchase. (Download MyFASTag from the App Store for both Android and iOS smartphones)
- KYC document as per the category (original and a copy).
- Vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC).
- Owner’s passport size photograph
- An application form for FASTtag. It should be duly filled and submitted along with other documents – ID proof, proof of address, driving license, PAN Card, passport, voter ID Card
All required documents for FASTag should be in owner’s name. In case the owner of the vehicle is absent while applying, the representative/driver will need to submit the owner’s photo ID proof.
How to Recharge your FASTags:
So wasn’t that easy? When are you registering for your FASTag?
News Source – ET Now
Image Credits – Google Images