Fire Broke Out at PGI Emergency. OT Completely Gutted in Fire


Fire broke out at the Emergency block of the iconic Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh. The fire started in an operation theatre on the first floor of the Emergency block, adjacent to the Advanced Trauma Center on Wednesday evening.

Cause of fire

According to sources, the fire broke out soon after an operation in the OT. A nurse was disposing the used needles in an incinerator leading to spark and fire.

OT was completely gutted

The fire completely gutted the operation theatre. Two fire tenders, including hospital’s own, doused the flames. Though the fire did not spread beyond the operation theatre, the firefighters broke the windowpanes on the ground and first floor to let the smoke out.

Thick smoke created panic

Around 150 patients were evacuated from intensive care unit and the Emergency out-patient department to safer places. A senior hospital official said that no patient is injured in the incident.

Earlier this year in February, there was fire in the gastroenterology ward due to a short circuit. No casualties were reported.

Source: HT Chandigarh

Image Credits: Google Images