The Swachh Survekshan – 2017 results were announced by Union Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi this morning. 434 cities and towns were surveyed in Jan. and Feb. 2017 for their performance on cleanliness drive.
Against all expectations, Chandigarh has failed to even find a spot in top 10 cleanest cities in the country. Chandigarh in ranked 11th this year. Last survey, rank was 2nd.
Punjab’s best performance was found to be in SAS Nagar with 121 rank. All Punjab cities surveyed figure below 100 rank.
The Top Ten are:
And those figuring at the bottom are:
Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have shown very promising results with accounting for 50 of the cleanest sities on the list. Gujarat had the most, 12 clean cities, closely trailed by Madhya Pradesh with 11 cities. While Uttar Pradesh at the bottom of the list with 25 cities that performed poorly in the survey.
|Swachh Survekshan Rankings
About the Swachh Survekshan-2017
- Survey was conducted by the Quality Council of India. It is associated with the Urban Development Ministry.
- The survey was commissioned by the Ministry of Urban Development.
- It was conducted in January and February this year.
- More than 18 lakh citizens were asked to give their views on sanitation in cities. They responded to a set of six questions.
- Besides, 421 assessors of the Quality Council of India physically inspected 17,500 locations in 434 cities and towns.
- As many as 2,680 residential locations, 2,680 commercial locations and 2,582 commercial and public toilets were inspected in these cities and towns for on the spot third party assessment.
- The survey was conducted to assess the measures taken by the cities to improve sanitation, strategies followed to bring about behavioural changes and the overall impact of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Image Credits: Times of India