In November 2019, GMADA organised a competition inviting designs and models for the entrance gate of Punjab to Chandigarh International Airport in Mohali. The theme was blend of modern & traditions architecture in the form of monument/ structure highlighting the spirit of Punjabi culture & heritage. Out of 165 participants, IIT Lucknow pass-out architect Piyush Srivastava’s design has been adjudged first rank and won Rs 3 lakh.
About the design
• The confluence of soul of Punjab – the five rivers which gave the state its name also – with dynamic modernity today.
• It shows the waves of the five rivers with its both ends in water body on roadside, adorned by lush green landscaping.
• The rivers’ names will be written in centre road divider.
• The gate will be made under dynamic space frame coated by standard steel. Its height will be 15-16 meter.
• The project will cost Rs 10 crore.
The 3 winners:
Source: Dainik Bhaskar