Recently, the Parliament passed three bills related to agriculture, namely The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020; The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 & The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
However, a lot of farmers are protesting across the nation against these 3 bills.
Why are farmers protesting?
Farmers are out on streets to protest against these bills.
They have some apprehensions about the same. These are-
- Farmers believe that with the enactment of these bills, they’ll not get any MSP(Minimum Support Price) for their commodities.
- With the coming up of these 3 bills, there will be an upper hand of agri-businesses and big retailers in negotiations, thereby putting farmers at a disadvantage.
- Now, big corporate houses will dictate prices of the commodities.
- Since farmers can’t approach the court of law in case of any dispute, it would be difficult for a farmer to get justice.
- Middleman & labour force in mandis will face huge losses.